Thursday, October 27, 2011

INSOMNIA

It's nearly two o'clock in the morning, and I am sitting here wide awake.  The husband and The Princess all sound asleep, ready to wake up rested and refreshed. 

Insomnia never happens to me.  I am usually the one person at parties who cannot keep her eyes open past 8:30.  Ask anyone who has had to cart me home, not because of drunkness, but because at that point in time, I could just drop and be gone--out like a light.

I am not sure why I am awake like it is nine o'clock in the morning and as if I have already had my cup of coffee.  Maybe it was the coffee that I had this morning.  Or maybe it was work unconsciously running around in my head.  Or perhaps, I am just so nervous for this weekend's Head of the American race.  Or maybe the nagging, mild discomfort in my shoulder and hip was keeping me up.

At about an hour ago, at one in the morning, I had given up trying or pretending to sleep.  One cup of cookies and one generous handful of almonds later...

2 comments:

  1. More Dagmar...

    http://youtu.be/fxg9K6TcjNQ

    I dream Hermaphrodite & I sit up
    all night our eyes on the horizon
    of a wobbling bowl.
    Heads in hands we ponder dregs
    the bowl contains
    a liquid's left putrescence
    after being drained.
    (What we feel we have to solve
    is why the dregs have not dissolved)
    When I wake I wonder what it means;
    am I bad alchemy? It seems
    I image Self unmixed, a risk,
    in a dish for drinking
    Fluid with a strongly stinking
    sediment - is that what it meant?
    Am I hermaphrodite?
    Neither one nor quite the other?
    (What we feel we have to solve
    is why the dregs have not dissolved)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that with insomnia, my thought pretty much sounded like that...disorder and cacophony. =)

    ReplyDelete