Sunday, March 20, 2011

Memory Loss

Saturday morning:  There was a pause in the rainfall as we practiced this morning on the lake.  Out on the water, we had 2 quads, 2 women's singles (including me), and 1 men's single.  We did most of today's workout yesterday with the 2x2,000m pieces, and with Chris gone today, we did some steady state to full pressure pieces.  As we came out of the finger for each piece, there was was a massive headwind that made your oars feel like they were stuck in concrete.  As we were coming into the dock, the rain began again and drenched us to the bone.  There was also a Greek Independence Day 5k and 10k Run at the lake, and the devoted runners were just starting as the rain poured.  Did you know that March 25th celebrates the 1821 declaration of Greek Independence from the Ottoman Empire?

Earlier this week, Chris had us do another 2k erg test.  This time, I did not run into any problems getting access to an erg, unlike the first time.  I did well on this test, and my splits, taken every 500m, were pretty consistent.  If you asked me how consistent were my splits from stroke to stroke, however, I would have no idea because my eyes were closed half of the time.  And if you asked me how the piece went mentally and physically, I would have to tell you that I do not know.  And I do not know because I suffer from memory loss.  Many times after a race or an erg test, I have very little recollection of what just happened.  I only have the vaguest impressions of pain and feelings of dying.  When coaches ask how arace went, I usually have very little to say because I really just do not remember the race.

Last year, we raced at the Head of the Charles in the Club 4+.  For all the non-rowers, the Head of the Charles (HOTC) is THE fall rowing event, featuring a 3.2 mile (a little more than 5,000m) race along the Charles River in Boston.  This race is probably the biggest rowing event in the United States, with over 8,000 competitors from all over the country and world competing.  Certain streets in Boston are shut down during the HOTC weekend to help with the traffic.  In college, junior year, I had been cut from the boat that went to the HOTC and never had another opportunity to go again, until last year.  Thus, this was a race that I wanted to remember.
LMRC Club 4+ Head of the Charles 2010
I only remember a few things from that HOTC race.  One, the water was a little rough and it was hard to feel the boat.  Two, I heard Bruno and Erika cheering for me at the Cambridge Boat House, which is a surprise because I usually do not hear people cheering from the sidelines.  And three, the last turn in the race is a turn to starboard so ports may have to increase pressure to help the coxswain with the turn.  I remember waiting for our coxswain's call, "Hard on port," but it never came and soon we were in the straightaway before the finish line.  We crossed the line and the race was over.  Of the whole 20 minutes, those are the only three things I can remember.  I cannot remember if the boat was down on one side or another or anything about the rhythm or ratio.  Hours of training, hundreds of dollars for airfare, days spent in Boston and all I can remember of the race are those three things.

We did well in that race, placing fourth of 52 boats.  I was very surprised and happy with our results, but if you ask me how the race went, I will say, "Sorry, but I have no idea.  I suffer from memory loss."  Luckily, you can watch a part of the race here.

No comments:

Post a Comment