Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Snappy

Tuesday Evening: The weatherman predicted rain, and it rained this evening.  Out on the water, we had the SDCC eight and 1 mixed double.  The Bay Blades were also at the boathouse, and they did a land/erg practice.  

Over the weekend, our San Diego line-up was finalized.  If you have not figured it out, the line-up will remain the same as we have been rowing since this fateful day.  Our workout today was 3x12minutes; 12 minutes is almost one full lake loop.  The first piece was partly warm-up, and the rate was a 24-26spm.  The second piece was at solid pressure, rate 27spm.  On this piece, the skies opened and it poured on us.  The wind also picked up in the main lake and made for good practice for San Diego.  The last piece was only 10 minutes, but at a rate 30spm.  After writing all about stroke seat and rating, I had an awfully hard time hitting an exact 30spm; the rate would drop to a 29spm and our coxswain would have to call it back up again.

At the end of the workout, Chris asked the boat if anyone felt any different.  Such a vague question!  Different about what?  Physically?  Mentally?  Set of the boat?  Power?  Preparedness for San Diego?  I did not know what he was referring to, but I snapped, “Yeah, it felt different; the boat felt heavy.”  That was definitely NOT what Chris was getting out.  Apparently, Chris had made some minor rigging changes and wanted to know if anyone felt a difference.  In that regard, I did not feel any differences. 

I was in a pretty snappy mood though because one, the boat actually did feel heavy for most of the workout and two, after a hard workout, please do not ask me any complex, loaded, general questions.  It is not a good thing for the boat to feel heavy because it often means that the power in the boat is not enough to “lift” the boat out of the water and to maintain the momentum of the boat.  Every stroke in a heavy boat feels like a struggle and can be difficult on a rower’s back.  It is normal in headwinds and other rough conditions for the boat to feel heavy, and the heaviness in our boat was due to a mixture of conditions and disconnect of the rowers on the drive.  

After a hard workout, it is probably best not to ask me any questions.  First, if it was truly a hard workout, I will not have any oxygen left for my brain cells to process your question.  My brain will not work.  Second, after a hard workout, I just want to be done and go in.  If you and your question stand in the way between me and the dock, I am naturally not a happy camper.  The only thing that makes me an even snappier camper is if you stand in my way for food.  Otherwise, in all other areas, things are looking up, rain or shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment