Monday, June 27, 2011

"E" or "I"

Monday:  This morning, we had 1 eight, 1 pair, 1 women's single (me), and 2 men's singles out on the water.

The workout was 2x12 minutes at 26spm, full pressure.  A tailwind chased us from the dam to the Embarcadero, ideally making the row easier, but not helping the set of the boat at all.

A month ago, at our team meeting, Chris handed out the team practice calendar for our training up to Southwest Regionals.  On that calendar, there were THREE 1k erg tests penciled in--the first and the third on our own and the second as a group at a team practice.  We have already completed the first two erg tests, and the last erg test is this week.

At the second erg test, at a Tuesday evening practice, Chris gave us a pep talk beforehand. He recommended locking in a consistent split and not going out too fast too early.  At some point in his talk, he mentioned two more erg tests.  If you are counting, that makes a total of FOUR erg tests.  The calendar only said THREE.

What the hell.

If you ever take a Myers-Briggs personality test, the first letter of your four letter personality type (e.g. ISTJ or ENFP) assesses where you get your energy from.  The first letter is either an "E" or an "I."  An "E" is for extraversion--you get your energy from being around people or being with others energizes you. An "I" is for introversion--you get your energy from your alone time.

I am a big "I."  I am a true believer that motivation must come from within, which is probably one of the reasons I prefer small, blind boats over large coxed boats.  For the most part, being an "I" works out great for me.  I usually do not mind training by myself, but it also means that I do not like being pushed by anyone else. I do not like being asked for more than I personally, mentally think that I can do.

In other words, I am a conservative (or self-preservation) athlete.  I only deliver what I think I can do.  When the calendar says erg tests, I mentally brace myself. When the calendar says three erg tests, I mentally prepare myself by thinking, "First erg test will be no stress; it's just to find out what you can do.  Second test, just do a little better.  Last test, you just have to do as well as the second.  Anything better is bonus."  Hence, when Chris adds a fourth erg test, I am wondering in my head, "How the hell am I going to be faster for the fourth test?!" 

I hope Chris will forget all about erg testing and allow us to carry on with our lives as happy (normal) people with no erg tests hanging over our heads.  But since that will probably not happen, I will settle for the THREE on the calendar.  There will be some bloodshed and/or mutiny (or at least some loud complaining) before a fourth.

(Check out this WSJ article about marriages between "E"s and "I"s!)

No comments:

Post a Comment