Friday, July 15, 2011

Sportgraphics

Friday:  This morning, we had 1 eight, 1 men's single, and 2 women's singles (me) out on the water.  The workout was steady state with drills.

If you are a rower, you probably have heard of Sportgraphics, a sport photography company that takes photos at various regattas.  In fact, if you just finished racing at a regatta (e.g. SW Regionals) where Sportgraphics was snapping away, you are probably salivating over your keyboard, obsessively refreshing the Sportgraphics page, anxiously waiting the photos to be posted.  These photos are the one chance for you to feel famous and for you to show all your non-rower family and friends just how cool you look in your amazing crew gear and racing shell.

For me, these photos offer a candid look into exactly what the hell am I doing wrong on the water.  Without any live video footage of my race, photos are the next best thing.  Let's look at several cases.

Exhibit #1:  (from 2011 SW Regionals Women's Masters 1x race)
Photo copyright Sportgraphics
This is me in the single at the start of the race, somewhere in the first 100m judging from the red buoys.  Look at the yellow rectangle around my hands.  Notice the vertical separation between my hands.  Now look at the starboard oar, circled in yellow.  Compare the half-buried starboard oar to the completely buried port oar.  Clearly, I had a little difficulty with setting the boat.

Exhibit #2: (from 2010 SW Regionals Womens Masters 1x race)
Photo copyright Sportgraphics
My first reaction to this photo (common female reaction) -- "I look fat."  Second reaction, why is my body leaning to starboard (shoulders slanted downward to starboard)?  Almost looks like my hands are slow out of bow and are going to get stuck.  Third reaction, why is my starboard oar coming out early?

Exhibit #3: (from 2007 Sac State Invite, Cal Lwt 8+)
Photo courtesy of Nick F.
Good God.  See me in four seat?  See me with my arms bent and my back straight.  There is even just a little bit of leg drive left.  I look like a novice, bending my arms too early and opening up my back.

Ever wonder what you do during a race?  Look at the race photos!

1 comment: