Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wrong Side of the Bed

Saturday:  Last Saturday marked the last hard Saturday workout before Southwest Regionals.  That morning, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

The night before, I went to bed late.  Somehow through the night, I got sick and had a low-grade fever and mild chills.  But the true culprit of my restless night, however, was the Princess.  The Princess used to sleep in her brand new, expensive, fancy crib that is so large that it does not fit in the doorway.  Now, she refuses to sleep in anything except our bed.
The world's worst bedfellow
Sure, this two foot tall, 25 pound creature looks really cute and cuddly, but the Princess is the world's worst bedfellow.  In her sleep, she travels all across the bed, kicks blankets, pillows, and people, even snores, and often sleeps like a king with her arms spread out wide.  In the morning, if she wakes up before you, you can be sure that you will not be sleeping in for very long.  She sees you sleeping peacefully and will come up and start hitting you in your face until you wake up.  In fact, the Princess is so bad that my husband has permanently migrated to the couch.  So every night now, the Princess and I battle it out for every last inch of the bed.

Needless to say, after six hours of being sick and being constantly kicked in the ribs, I was quite cranky Saturday morning.  Being an "I", I was not looking forward to talking to anyone.  And I was most definitely not looking forward to a workout of 3x1000m race pieces.

At practice, we had 1 eight, 1 quad, and 1 mixed double (me) out on the water.  We had a long warm-up.  In the double, the boat felt good, but a little heavy and not as smooth.  As bow seat in a double, a lot of the smoothness of the boat comes from matching up well with your stroke seat at the catch, but especially in and out of the bow.

The race pieces were hard, but the double actually came together pretty well in the pieces.

After practice, I came home with another fever, took NyQuil, and slept, leaving my husband to fend for himself and the Princess.  There really is no wrong side of the bed.  No matter how bad the night is or how little sleep you manage to get, every day can be a good day and every practice can be a good practice.
"The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude." --Dennis S. Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment