Saturday, May 7, 2011

"Vacation"

Friday:  Today we left for our second family "vacation."  The first was San Diego.  I say "vacation" because the original plan was for my husband and I to take advantage of my work travel and tag a weekend vacation on while the Princess stayed with Grandma and Grandpa.  Unfortunately, Grandma and Grandpa were themselves out of town and the Princess ended up coming with us.  Can you sense my bitterness?  Who wants to juggle a car seat, a stroller (big jogging stroller), luggage, and a 24 pound squriming animal through security? 
Try to control this--the 24 pound squirming animal
on a normal day
The day got off to an inauspicious start--I overslept and missed practice this morning.  As many rowers learn in college, you must do everything humanly possible to make it to practice.  Of course, if you are unconscious, there is not much you can do.  Luckily, I only overslept by half an hour and did manage to fit in a run.  I had forgotten how much I love mornings runs where the air is cool and crisp. 

After a half-day at work, I came home to pack like a maniac.  I actually hate to travel, even when it is for vacation.  Packing freaks me out because I can never decide on what to bring.  We picked up the Princess from daycare and then, went to the airport where my husband dropped the Princess and me off.  Yes, unfortunately, my husband and I had separate flights and I was the lucky parent to fly with the Princess although I am cleary not the favorite parent.  The Princess was screaming when she realized that Dad was not coming with us.  Lovely.

The Princess and I had a connection in Salt Lake City.  By the time we finally landed in Salt Lake City, I had half a mind to leave the Princess behind in the plane.  She had taken the orange juice that I had been served right out of my hands and drank the whole thing.  Well, about 80% of it.  The other 20% ended up on her shirt.  
The Princess awaiting her royal connection
at Salt Lake City

Thankfully, for the last flight--Salt Lake City to Denver, the Princess fell asleep.  Now, I had to struggle to keep my legs from falling asleep with 24 pounds on top.  Welcome to Colorado!

The sleeping Princess; thank God!

We made it!

1 comment:

  1. "you must do everything humanly possible to make it to practice"...
    While true in college when others depend on you, it doesn't really apply if if you are going out in a single, you are not getting enough sleep and your coach has other commitments. You may be better off sleeping in.

    ReplyDelete