Monday, April 11, 2011

4'/3'/2'/1' Again

Monday morning:  4'/3'/2'/1' again.  Yesterday, I had the vaguest premonition that today's workout would be some version of 4'/3'/2'/1', but I went ahead and did the 19 minute pyramids because I could not think of anything more enticing to get me out of bed.

We had 1 four, 1 women's single (me), and 2 men's singles out on the water and 1 rower on the erg.  The workout was:
     2x20minute pieces of 4'/3'/2'/1'/4'/3'/2'/1', 24 to 30spm and 26 to 32spm.

Ever heard of the "Cat"?  Meet Ekaterina Karsten, currently 39 years old and probably the world's best heavyweight women's single sculler.  Her powerful, smooth strokes make her boat fly.
Copyright National Olympic Committee of the Republic of Belarus
With the flat water this morning and after a few days in the single, I could feel the run of the boat come easily and I felt like Karsten.  I, a mere mortal at 5 feet 5 inches, could be fast too.  And then, my daydreaming came to an end as the two other singles passed me.  (To be totally honest, as the slowest boat on the water--a women's single, I did get to start first.)  Well, it was fun while it lasted.

2 comments:

  1. We need to talk sometime about training methods, recovery and sleep.
    for starters:
    http://www.sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm#_Toc245522387

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that'd be great. Hmm, interesting study.

    ReplyDelete