Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rusty Single

Friday morning: We had 1 eight, 1 women's single (me), and 1 men's single out on the water.  The workout was simple steady state.  Because of San Diego Crew Classic, I have not been in the single for awhile, and I felt quite rusty today.  My blades tapped the water as my boat rocked side to side.  My catches felt forced and not easy.  The water was particularly rough near the fountain on the southern side of the lake, near the Lucky's, and there, I felt like a little rubber ducky rocking around on top of the water.  A month ago, I felt ready to race the single, but now I do not feel so sure.

My first race in a single was at the end of my novice "year," which was actually only a semester since I joined crew in the spring.  Since I did not weigh anywhere close to 130lbs, I could not race in the lightweight eight and four.  Three practices before the end of the year race, Pacific Coast Rowing Championships (PCRC), my coach started putting me an Aero.  The Aero is a wide single that looks like a floating bathtub; it is perfect for beginners and for rowing in rough water, also called open water rowing.  The width and design of the boat help keep it set, and even if you know nothing about sculling, as long as you keep both hands on the oars, the Aero is pretty hard to flip.

Three practices later, I was sitting at the start line of the Womens Open 1x.  One other girl in the race was from my team and was also in an Aero.  She was incredibly strong and could make weight, but because she was a graduate student, she could not race in the collegiate boats.

If you ever race a single, here is one thing to remember: Everything takes longer.  You are still going 2,000m, but the entire distance takes more time than when you are in an eight (obviously) and on the erg (maybe not so obviously).  On the erg, you might be excited about breaking the 8 minute (for girls) or 7 minute (for guys) barrier, so you think, "What is the big deal about racing a single?  It is just another 2,000m.  I can bust it out for 8 minutes."  That was what I thought, and my 8 minute race turned in to a 10:58.1 minute race.  Much longer than I had ever imagined.  In fact, I thought the race would never end.  I was so slow that the official launch, which trails the race, got tired of following me and passed me to trail the rest of the field, which was much farther ahead.
PCRC 2006: in a Aero

PCRC 2006, Race #8, Womens Open 1x, Cal Lights "B" Boat: my first 1x race, finishing dead last.  Never was I so happy to be done with a race and off the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment