Wednesday, April 20, 2011

National Selection Regatta #I

Some of you rowers out there may know that tomorrow, Thursday, is the beginning of National Selection Regatta (NSR) #1 to be held in New Jersey.  Every year, there are three NSRs, which determine who gets to represent the United States in the World Cup series and later, in the World Championships or every fourth year, in the Olympics. 

The first NSR starts off with a singles time trial to determine seeding in heats, which occur later that same day.  The second day is finals with an A, B, and C final.  The exact process to make a World Cup boat varies depending on if you are a male or female, heavyweight or lightweight and can be complex and convoluted.  Regardless, if you are racing at NSR #1, you know that everyone--coaches, fellow rowers, friends, enemies--in the elite rowing world will be watching, comparing times and consistency. 
Kristin at Worlds; copyright row2k.com

A month ago, I had the amazing opportunity to meet Kristin Hedstrom, an elite women's lightweight rower and Wisconsin Lightweight alumnae, when she was in Oakland training out of the California Rowing Club.  I do not want to sound like a complete nut-job, but I was SO ECSTATIC to meet Kristin.   It was like meeting Brad Pitt, but Brad Pitt is nothing when I could meet Kristin.  In college, when I rowed in Wisconsin for a summer, I heard about Kristin.  While I was rowing in Wisconsin, Kristin was busy in Seattle at the Pocock Training Center, training for the U23 lightweight double.

Kristin and I are the same in age, and that is about where the similarity ends.  Probably 15 pounds lighter than me and with a 2k erg time that would blow me out of the water, Kristin represented the United States at Worlds in 2009 and also won the women's lightweight 1x at the Head of the Charles the same year.  Last year, she was in the lightweight quad at Worlds, which placed second.

Kristin and I talked about a variety of subjects, and she patiently explained to me the national team selection process.  She talked about the different times in her rowing career when she has surprised herself.  For example, in 2008, just after finishing her collegiate rowing, Kristin entered in the lightweight 1x at the Head of the Charles, expecting to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack.  To her pleasant surprise, in a field of seasoned competitors, she finished 5th.  It was so interesting to hear how humble Kristin is about her rowing career and progress.  To me, Kristin is right up there, next to God.  Okay, maybe not God, but up there next to Ekaterina Karsten, Olaf Tufte, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps (Michael Phelps does not need a link, even my mom knows Michael Phelps), among other sport idols.  In a field of very competitive lightweight women,  vying for only two seats on the national team, Kristin knows there is still much work to be done before London 2012.

Help me cheer Kristin on at NSR #1!  Follow Kristin here.  Results can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment