Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Drills

Tuesday Evening: First crew practice after San Diego Crew Classic.

We had 1 eight, 1 quad, and 1 men's single out on the water.  The Bay Blades took out a quad as well.  I always enjoy the first practice back from a regatta because the stress, anxiety, and pressure of racing have all vanished.  I sat in the eight today and thankfully, not in stroke seat.  What a refreshing feeling to follow somebody else!  (Disclaimer: I am not that great of a follower though.)

We did two steady state pieces, and in the eight, we practiced two drills, outside hand only and wide grip, by 6's.  In rowing, drills are often done with six rowers rowing and two rowers, i.e. a pair, sitting out, setting up the boat.  A set or balanced boat allows the six rowers to focus solely on the drill.  The first drill was outside hand only.  In sweep boats where each rower only has one oar, the outside hand is hand furthest away from the oar.  I am a port so my outside hand is my left hand.  If you are starboard, you will be opposite of me, with the oar on your left side, making your right hand your outside hand.  With the other or inside hand behind your back, you row on the square with your outside hand only.  This drill is designed to focus on controlling the handle height with the outside hand and practicing the nice, easy drop of the handle at the catch.

The second drill was wide grip where you row with both hands on the oar, but the inside hand placed further down on the oar shaft, off of the rubber grip.  With the inside hand away from the body and having less control over the handle, the emphasis is again on your outside hand.  In addition, this drill is great for practicing the body rotation at the catch, making sure you do not over rotate and/or lunge at the catch.

Disclaimer again:  I am not a coach, and I could be totally wrong about the drills.  Chris probably did mentioned what to focus on during the drills, but half the time, Chris is mumbling and I cannot understand a thing.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment