Sunday, April 17, 2011

Strawberries

Once upon a time, I bought a total of 28 pounds of yam, here and here.  Not long after, the yams were all gone--I ate 27 pounds of yam, the Princess ate 1 pound, and my husband ate 0 pounds. 

This Saturday, I found a new food to buy in huge quantities--strawberries.  I actually upon the strawberries unintentionally.  After practice, I went to the local Farmer's Market, but did not see anything I really liked and was willing to pay for.  Near our house, there is a street corner where migrant workers often sell produce.  On an impulse, I stopped and bought strawberries.  Originally, I only wanted a few pints of strawberries, but somehow, I ended up with a whole flat of strawberries.  A flat is equivalent to 12 pints or TWELVE pounds of strawberries.
A flat of strawberries
I knew as soon as I bought it that a flat was way too many strawberries, but it was a good deal and my husband and the Princess both eat strawberries.  (The Princess pretty much eats anything.)

My husband's eyes got big when he saw the strawberries, but not from delight.  The first thing he said was, "What are you going to do with all those strawberries?"  Five minutes later, he asked, "Are you going to do anything with those strawberries?"  He had a look of concern when I did not immediately start devouring the strawberries as soon as I got home.  To be fair, this is not the first time I have come home with a whole flat of strawberries and there have been some strawberries that go bad because we could not eat them fast enough.

When I say that I eat a lot, I am not joking.  More than half of the flat is already gone--mostly consumed by yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment