Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tornado Tuesday

Tuesday morning:  With no swim this week due to spring break, I got to sleep-in this morning.  Trust me, after yesterday's near disaster row in the single, I was looking forward to any extra hours of sleep that I could muster.  I slept until 6:30 when I woke up not to workout, but to CLEAN the house.  Trust me on this one too.  It looks like a tornado ran through our one bedroom condo.  I am not going to embarrass myself by showing you pictures, but you can imagine toys all over the ground, dirty bowls sitting on the coffee table, and unfolded laundry sitting on the rocking chair.

Before I got married and before I had the Princess, I used to have standards.  Nothing fancy, just basic standards, such as folded laundry, vacuumed floors, clean dishes, neatly lined books.  My hamper could be piled with clothes, ready to be worn one more time before washing and my desk could be disorganized with open textbooks, homework papers, post-it notes, but I managed to meet my basic standards. 

After I got married and had the Princess, my standards are probably the lowest possible standards before "tornado-wreck" status.  I mentioned before a quote from Oprah Winfrey, "You can have it all, just not all at once."  I totally, completely, wholeheartedly agree with her, but I still want it all and I want it NOW.  In my attempts to have it all, all at once, somethings have to give.  Sleep is the first to go.  Not far behind are my standards--standards for clean dishes, vacuumed floors, dusted bookshelves, clean laundry, general house cleanliness.

I am afraid next to go are standards for the Princess.  When the Princess was first born, we were the typical new parents who fussed over the tiniest things, making sure that everything was dusted, washed, disinfected, cleaned twice.  We changed her diaper whenever it had the slightest hint of pee, we bathed her everyday, and we made sure she always wore a bib when eating.  Since then, we have come a long way.  The Princess is at an age where she is mobile, smart, and strong enough to demand to try things on her own, which usually means creating a big mess for someone to clean up. 
Eating applesauce with a spoon and feeding her shirt

Sometimes feeding herself too 
(Yes, that is chocolate pudding on her forehead...)
 I spent this morning before work, cleaning up after the Princess from her applesauce party the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment